Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Singapore can also do good quality music and productions

Time really flies. 2014 is coming to an end soon. Thinking back, it's been a long time since I was exposed to the music industry. I've met alot of kind people and mentor along the way, made some really good friends along the way, experience the pain of being betrayed by people around me along the way and also been the target of unprovoked hating by people whom I didn't even know or worse still people whom I thought were my friends.

 
2014 had been kind to me. I made my debut in Taiwan and Korea, became the Voice of Kindness ambassador to Singapore Kindness Movement (SKM), endorsed a few new products and also released my new single 彩虹也会哭 (Rainbows Do Cry). I am also happy to see Project Awareness progressing well now even though we met some unforeseen obstacles sometime back. I think thats what the mean by sunshine after the rain.

 
Debuting in Taiwan has always been my dream as a kid and when I finally got to do it, I was thrilled and anxious at the same time. I met several stars along the way like Jam Hsiao 《萧敬腾》 and Lan Xin Mei 《蓝心湄大姐》 etc and also made friends with 小冷老师,the composer of Rainie Yang's 暧昧. I also finally met my Taiwan fans and friends who have been supporting me even before I made my debut in Taiwan. It was a magical experience which I can never forget!

 
Going to Korea was a bonus. I got invited to perform at a music festival at Hong Dae by one of my sponsor and that's how I got there. It's surprising to know that I have supporters in Korea too, despite me not being active there. Thank you all too. Love you guys.

Come to think of it, I have released about 20 songs in 3 different languages so far. Well people often ask me what is my favourite song but again, coming from a composer point of view, every song is my favourite song if not why would I even bother releasing right? Haha. However on a serious note, if I were to really need to choose, I guess these will be my top 3 favourites.


For the Chinese song category, I will choose 《彩虹也会哭》 (Rainbows Do Cry). It's because it's my first ever new song to be performed overseas, namely Taiwan, and also my first song new song to be aired by Taiwan radio. I would have chosen 《Saranghamnida》 too if I can because it's the first song that made me known by my Taiwan supporters. 《彩虹也会哭》is also special because it's the first time I worked with my producer cum idol Jim Lim (林倛玉老师)and I had wonderful memories of our work time. I also learnt a lot in the process.

 
For the English song category I will choose 《You'll Never Be Mine》. This song is the first ever English song I wrote based on a story about not having the person you want. It's also my first ever song which I self-penned the lyrics. It's also the first song which I directed the music video myself.

 
As for my two Malay songs, I will choose 《Cinta Padamu》 to be my favourite. Firstly, from a composer point of view, it's one of the songs which I felt the melody was written differently from my usual compositions. The song also won praises from my another idol producer Peng Xue Bin 《彭学斌老师》, which I felt truly honoured to receive. It's also my first ever Malay song that was released which made me known in the Malay market locally and overseas.

I have always dreamt of making my country proud, like how Stefanie Sun, JJ Lin and Tanya Chua did. But I wanted something more. I wanted to make Singapore to be known as a musically recognised country too. Which was why my album and songs were all composed by local lyricists, produced by local producers, arranged by local song arrangers, recorded in local studios and album photos by local photographers. Then I bring my song out to overseas and let everyone know that we can also produce international quality songs.

It is surprising though along the way I received some negative feedback not from people overseas, but from some of our own people back in Singapore. I don't blame them though as everything to me is part of a learning process.

 
Till today I have never given up on this dream. Everywhere I go, I still carry my country's flag proudly telling everyone how Singapore can also do good quality music and productions.

Come year 2015, I have plans to compose and produce a local song on Kindness. I hope to be able to bring all my aspirations and plans together in one song. I also hope more local people can encourage local artists. Will keep everyone updated. Meanwhile to all my readers, do take care and god bless all of you. Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment